At Bigeye, our mission is making it a delight to work with data every day. We built some of the most widely adopted tools at companies like Uber and saw how fast teams move when they have a great data toolchain. Now Bigeye is building best-of-breed tools for anyone who eats, sleeps, and breathes data: analysts, data scientists, and data engineers around the world.
The DevOps movement changed the world of working with infrastructure. The DataOps movement is just getting started. Come help us write the first chapter.
About the job
Today, we’re focused on one of the most painful aspects of DataOps: observability and outages. Most teams still discover data outages – duplicated, missing, and unexpected data – after they impact application features, dashboards, ML models, and ultimately their stakeholders. We’re building a data observability platform to monitor their data content and alert them early so they can triage and respond instantly.
What you'll be doing
- Design and develop product solutions to the needs of our earliest customers
- Keep Bigeye reliable and performant as customers deploy it on hundred of tables, thousands of columns, and billions of rows
- Design and contribute to an engineering platform that keeps us iterating rapidly and efficiently
- Hone the team’s engineering best practices and shared toolset
- Collaborate with the design and data science teams to research, development, and implement solutions
Java, Python, REST APIs, RabbitMQ, Protobuf, Datadog, Docker
You should apply if you have
- 4+ years of experience in Java or Python
- Experience working within a Service Oriented Architecture.
- Experience designing, building, and supporting a user-facing product.
- A desire to learn and grow as an engineer.
- Proven passion for uncovering and solving the real customer problem. We think this is the core of a successful product.
- Excitement about being an early engineer. You’ll be defining our engineering best practices, choosing our shared tools, and helping us build a world-class team.
- Clear and straightforward communication. We’ll be moving fast and building some complex products together, so clarity matters.
You have the skills for this role! You should apply!
Minimum skills required:
Team and Leadership
Sr. Software Engineer
Software Engineer II
Hear from a teammate
Staff Software Engineer
Director, People Operations
Head of Design
The Interview Process
The average turnaround time for the interview process is 2 weeks.
Diversity & Inclusion
The Bigeye team is committed to filling at least 30% of our positions with women and individuals from underrepresented groups.
Solve real problems
Bigeye solves real problems for real data teams, and Bigeye Engineering prioritizes those problems above all else. Engineering must be equally aware of customer needs as sales and customer support, and constantly reevaluate whether what we are building is relevant.
Use boring technology
Success comes from building great products that solve real challenges for customers, not from satisfying our own technical curiosities. If a solution for a problem exists internally, we leverage or extend the solution. If this is a new space, we evaluate existing external solutions before committing to building something from scratch.
Build fast, zoom out often
We make customers happy by solving their problems faster than anyone else can (including themselves!), and that means not getting crushed by our scale or complexity. Bigeye Engineering makes time to extract commonalities into the platform layer, pay down technical debt, and with more information around problem spaces, rethink designs and architectures, and rebuild when we have to.